Thursday, October 2, 2008

Moped

I tried a moped for the first time back in Diu. I did fine. It was a straight road. I tried a moped for my second time, also in Diu. And it was fine. It was the same straight road. I tried a moped for the third time, again, in Diu. And it wasn't fine. Xavi insisted on me driving with him as a passenger and in the middle of town. I accelerate, a car comes, I turn, loose balance, for the second time, turn again, loose balance, and, stop! "OK, I drive." All that was needed.

Goa, a vehicle was needed if you wanted to move around and to different beaches. I sought for a bicycle. First, because my experiences with a moped hadn't been that satisfying. Second, it cost 300 INR a day. Way expensive! So I ended up walking, taking lifts or rickshaws, as I couldn't find a bicycle and from where I was in Chapora, you couldn't go anywhere without getting into a very steep road, and I wasn't looking forward to cycling that either.

Still in Goa, but in Agonda I thought it was time to try again. And though successful, without a passenger and with very few traffic, but with curves and slopes, I wasn't sure of being capable of more.

And on that first Monday after my amazing, weird and deceiving weekend in Pondi, I tried it again. i had traffic, curves, holes, horning from everywhere, and I was successful, and almost liked it. And in that way I was free from Sadhana. I was liking the bicycle, but it was getting hotter and harder to make it back.

This was the place where I would finally learn. And it is. Auroville is the place where I learned to ride a moped. And now, I enjoy it!

No comments: