Thursday, July 31, 2008

Taking a break - Break I

A week in Sadhana hardly moving from the place, but to Koot Road for Internet and cookies, was enough for me to decide to go to Pondi for the day. Furthermore, I had a reason to go. I had forgotten my mobile phone charger at the hotel room I was staying at, and talking with the manager by phone wasn't helping much. But getting into Pondi wasn't easy stuff apparently.

First I needed to get to the road. Didn't feel comfortable with leaving the bicycle in Koot Road for the whole day, so I asked Miguel, an Argentinian guy with whom I connected very fast, to take me to the road. There's the problem, there are two ways to get into Sadhana, one through Moratandi and one through Koot Road. The place to get the bus in Koot Road was easy to find, but not so much in Moratandi, where you were in the middle of nowhere, unable to stop a bus cause, in the first place, you couldn't tell which one was actually going to Pondi. Later I learned that all would go there, or at least in that direction.

Second, I didn't want to stop in the bus stand, so I decided to get out of the bus earlier thinking I knew where I was but, actually, not knowing. So after trying several rickshaws who asked for more money than I was prepared to pay, I walked and walked in the desired direction not really knowing how far away was I from my destination.

Finally, I get a rickshaw for the stipulated price of 20 rupees and I went directly to the Continental Hotel, where I had stayed during my time in Pondi. Apparently, the manager, didn't understand the word "charger" when I yelled it through the phone, but I accomplished to make them understand what I had lost, and that I really needed it. So they showed me 3 different mobile phone chargers, none of which was mine. However, they promised to keep on looking. I wasn't very happy with the results, nevertheless, I wasn't hopeless, a tiny bit of light could be seen at the end of the tunnel where my charger was.

The rest of the day consisted on spending all my time in my favorite places. Coffee.com for cold coffee and Satsanga for a pepper steak and a beer. Another of my missions was to get some filters for my rolling cigarettes, but I had no luck on that one, and so I had to keep on with normal disgusting cigarettes and bidis.

For the way back, I didn't want to risk it on the bus again, so I got a rickshaw all the way back. Comfortable and relaxed. A come and go break that made me realize things had to change in Sadhana. My attitude.

No comments: