Monday, July 28, 2008

Bonjour

Before my volunteering position, in which I expected to eat only vegan food, get fit doing physical work while digging holes and making bunds, and lots of yoga, I needed to get ready. I hadn't done anything of that for a while, and not only my body had to realize the situation, but specially my brain.

Also, I needed some material things as well. The place I was supposed to volunteer at wasn't too communicated from the rest of the tourist world, so I wasn't expecting too many comforts. I needed yoga pants, for example, done with the silk I had bought in Varanasi, and of course, I had to satisfy my belly with all the non-vegan food available. And I must say I went to the right place.

Pondicherry, an ex-French colony, where French seemed to think it was still theirs, but what's even worse, Indians thought so as well. Similarly to Portuguese, French seemed to do a good job on influencing the locals to their customs and their language. There is a clear difference if compared to British India. While Brits left the country a total disaster in war, French left a wonderful peaceful city that reminds of Europe's early colonizing ages. Big streets, with big sidewalks and big colonial houses. The style is present in doors and windows. Yeah well, also a smaller space to conquer, and easier to control.

In Pondi, Indians have names such as Peter, Phoebe, Sebastian, Desiree or Joel. They not only speak English, but perhaps they are more fluent in French. They eat with cutlery, as if eating with their hands was impolite or uncivilized, and they appreciate a good wine. They listen to western music, and like western food. They spend most of their time surrounded with westerners, at western areas (also seen as tourist areas). Indian girls are more accessible, and if not beautiful, sexy.

Some say this is not India, and it's true in a certain way. The market is different, the people behave differently. Everything is overpriced. And it seems as if everything that fits into these characteristics is not capable of being India. Like if India had to be dirty and poor. But there is a new India emerging, were their people look at the west for dressing and behavioural patterns. It's a mistake, if you ask me, but it's still India. A big sign to prevent baby girls being burned near the hospital is a clear sign that you're still there. Unfortunately, not their best part to remind you of that.

However, though you perceive the French influence specially in the young wealthy kiddo partying there and there or in the owner of a bar full of tourists, you can also see it in the rickshaw driver that changes his name into a more European style or the random fella that answers to you in French though you have asked in English. But even then, you get the feeling as for what you can see in the streets, near the hospitals, in the market, etc. the French influence is for the wealthy Indians only. As all colonizing countries, they forgot what is important, the people.

No comments: